Sunday 10 January 2010

new Blog


I'm jumping on the bandwagon and have created a new blog, this will mostly be to show of my painting/modeling progress, but I'm sure other stuff will be posted too.
The main reason to start this blog is the fact that I have just acquired about 50 old school RTB01 plastic and RT metal spacemarines. Together with the old school Rhino I bought last summer this will be the start of a new Rogue trader style space marine army. And hopefully my return to regular paiting.


Looking at what I have, I've so far decided to build and paint the following:

2 tactical squads
1 devastator squad
1 assault squad
1 Rhino
1 commander
1 librarian
1 chaplain

which leaves me with enough spare marines to raise another squad though I havn't decide what to do with them for now.


The idea is to build an rogue trader style marine army and I will try to follow the old painting guides of the rogue trader books as much as possible. I'm also planning to paint one of the tactical squads in a camo scheme.


Still not sure which chapter they will become, but for now I've narrowed it down to 5 choises:

1. Pre Heresy Night lords, Nice dark blue scheme is suited to my painting style, the chapter symbol is easy enough to paint freehand though the lightning effect on the armour and the terror/skull markings might clash with the RT style, helmet stripes, campaign badges etc.

2. Crimson fists, the classic rogue trader army, again dark blue which I like to paint, and I think they will look great in the old rogue trader style. Though they're not one of the founding chapters so this will have to be a post heresy army.



3. Pre heresy Salamanders, This will be in the old paintscheme so a lot darker then the current scheme probably closer in tone to the current dark angel scheme. The only reason they're on the list is because after painting spaceorks for years green is an easy colour for me to paint.



4. Pre heresy Spacewolves, Grey scheme with a yellow badge, I'm comfortable painting grey though the old yellow badge is a concern. If I pick these guys I'll probably throw out all the current spacewolf fluff, since I havn't found any spacewolf fluff in the old rogue trader books, I'm probably just going to disregard everything I know. I did see an article on chaplains that showed a space wolve chaplain scheme proving to me that in the RT days they didn't have any of the special spacewolf character choises, so no wolf priests/runepriests/ironpriests but chaplains, librarians and techmarines. No bloodclaws/greyhunters and longfangs, but regular tactical, assault and devastator squads.



5. Space sharks, pretty much for the same reason space wolves are on the list, grey is easy to paint, though I reckon this badge is easier to freehand, plus they're an iconic RT chapter that you don't see around too often, but like with the crimson fists I would prefer a founding chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment